A Bucket Plan to Go with Your Bucket List
John and Mary are nearing retirement and they have a lot of items on their bucket list. Longer life expectancies mean John and Mary may need to prepare for two or even three decades of retirement. How should they position their money?1
One approach is to segment your expenses into three buckets:
- Basic Living Expenses— Food, Rent, Utilities, etc.
- Discretionary Spending — Vacations, Dining Out, etc.
- Legacy Assets — for heirs and charities
Next, pair appropriate investments to each bucket. For instance, Social Security might be assigned to the Basic Living Expenses bucket.2
For the discretionary spending bucket, you might consider investments that pay a steady dividend and that also offer the potential for growth.3
Finally, list the Legacy assets that you expect to pass on to your heirs and charities.
A bucket plan can help you be better prepared for a comfortable retirement.
Call today and we can develop a strategy that may help you put enough money in your buckets to complete all the items on your bucket list.
- John and Mary are a hypothetical couple used for illustrative purposes only. Diversification is an approach to help manage investment risk. It does not eliminate the risk of loss if security prices decline.
- Social Security benefits may play a more limited role in the future and some financial professional recommend creating a retirement income strategy that excludes Social Security payments.
- A company’s board of directors can stop, decrease or increase the dividend payout at any time. 投资s offering a higher dividend may involve a higher degree of risk. Keep in mind that the return and principal value of stock prices will fluctuate as market conditions change. 分享s, when sold, may be worth more or less than their original cost.
The content is developed from sources believed to be providing accurate information. The information in this material is not intended as tax or legal advice. It may not be used for the purpose of avoiding any federal tax penalties. Please consult legal or tax professionals for specific information regarding your individual situation. This material was developed and produced by FMG Suite to provide information on a topic that may be of interest. FMG Suite is not affiliated with the named broker-dealer, state- or SEC-registered investment advisory firm. 所表达的意见及 material provided are for general information, and should not be considered a solicitation for the purchase or 出售任何证券. 版权所有2021 FMG套件.